How much can I claim?

The taxable grant will be based on average trading profit over the past three tax years (2016 to 2017, 2017 to 2018 and 2018 to 2019).

This will be worked out by adding together the total trading profits or losses for the past three tax years, then it will be divided by three.

The grant will be 80% of the average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment, covering three months and capped at £7,500, paid directly into the claimant’s bank account in one instalment within six working days.

Who can claim?

Who can claim?

A self-employed individual or member of a partnership can claim and if you:

  • Traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your self-assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year
  • Traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020
  • Intend to continue trading in the tax year 2020 to 2021
  • Carry on a trade that has been adversely affected by coronavirus

How to claim

To check you are eligible to claim, you will first be asked to enter your UTR before entering your national insurance number.

This will then tell you when you will be able to make a claim from and you will be asked to add your contact details, which will be used to tell you when to claim and what you need to do beforehand.

Next, you will need to use Government Gateway to sign in and add your contact details. The user ID could be up to 12 characters.

You could be asked for an access code so ensure your mobile phone is nearby.

You will then be asked for your email address and mobile number so HMRC can contact you when you make a claim.

From here, it will then tell you the date and time from when you can claim.

After claiming, you will be told straight away if the grant is approved.

All records must be kept in line with the standard self-employed record keeping requirements, including the amount claimed, the claim reference number for your records and evidence your business has been adversely impacted by coronavirus.

You will need to report the grant on your self-assessment tax return as self-employed income for any Universal Credit claims. It will need to be recorded as self-employed income and that you are working 16 hours a week for any tax credit claims.

Want to find out more?

Want to find out more?

Click here to see the full article on The Morning Advertiser and discover more about #UnitedWeStand. Find out more about the Government grant scheme.