When we’re not making great ice cream, we’re working hard to do our bit for the planet and its people. Discover more about what some of our brands are doing to be socially and environmentally responsible…
WALL’S – RESPONSIBLY MADE FOR KIDS
- We’re the first global ice cream brand with a ‘Responsibly Made For Kids’ promise. This promise is based on 3 pillars, designed to help parents and caregivers to make informed choices for their children. These are Responsible Communication through advertising; Responsible Selling with our Responsibly Made For Kids mark; and Responsible Development, meaning that every ice cream in our kids’ range has no more than 110 calories and a maximum of 12g of sugar per portion.
- Calippo has a recyclable tube & has reduced its plastic! (1 side pe with only 8% plastic vs 2 side pe 14% plastic previously used.
MAGNUM – INDULGE RESPONSIBLY
- Ingredients: 100% of the cocoa we use and 100% of the vanilla extract in our flavouring comes from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms.
- Packaging: Our sticks might be small, but they make a big difference - the wood in our sticks is obtained from certified sources which help halt deforestation, promote responsible forest management, and make a positive economic and social impact on the lives of the people and communities that we work with.
- Communities: We’ve launched AWA by Magnum – an initiative that works to empower women in the cocoa farming communities of Côte d'Ivoire both socially and economically. It’s all part of our 2025 Cocoa Strategy. So far, we’ve committed to invest €25M into our wider cocoa impact programmes.
BEN & JERRY’S – ICE CREAM THAT MAKES THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE, FROM COW TO CONE
- We’re B-Corp certified! In 2012, with the full support of our parent company, Unilever, Ben & Jerry's became the first wholly owned subsidiary in the world to gain B Corp certification.
- Our Ingredients: Bananas of all shapes and sizes make their way into our tubs, which means that no delicious fruit goes to waste just because it's a little weird-looking! Plus, the skins have a second life as animal food. All the eggs that go into our ice cream come from free-range and cage-free hens. Our brownies come from Greyston Bakery in New York – Greyston create meaningful job opportunities for those who have experienced barriers to employment.
- Our Packaging: Our tubs and lids are fully recyclable.
- Our Caring Dairy programme ensures our milk and cream is produced in a way that makes for happy cows, happy farmers, and a happy planet. We only use free grazing dairy in our products.
CARTE D’OR – ICE CREAM THAT TASTES GOOD AND DOES GOOD
- Our Ingredients: The vanilla and cocoa we source for our ice creams are Rainforest Alliance Certified. The Rainforest Alliance Certification aims to create a better future for people and nature through encouraging farmers to adopt sustainable agricultural practices. Our vanilla is 100% sustainably sourced from Madagascar and is just one of the carefully selected ingredients sourced from the best locations around the world that we use in our ice cream.
- Our Packaging: In 2022, we took another exciting step forward in our efforts to reduce our impact on the environment, with the release of our responsibly sourced, recyclable paper tubs, made with 93% less plastic!* (*Compared to previous Carte D’Or packaging.)
- Vanilla for change: Since 2016, Wall’s – the umbrella brand for Carte D’Or – together with Save the Children, and leading vanilla supplier Symrise, has been improving the lives of vanilla farming communities in the SAVA region of Madagascar, securing a sustainable source of vanilla whilst ensuring the local communities can go on to build a better future. We call this our ‘Vanilla for Change’ programme. Click here to find out